Muffins (when properly proportionate) can make a nice breakfast option or a snack on the go . These muffins were very dense but very hearty and delish! I made a few adjustments to the original recipe because I was missing a few things and personally I'm not a big fan of raisins but do LOVE dried cranberries!
Quinoa Craisin Muffins
Original recipe from 500 Vegan Recipes, p. 71
1 cup gluten-free flour mix (or whole wheat flour)
2/3 cup light brown sugar (or raw sugar)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup creamy nut butter (I used tahini actually - would have been nicer with almond)
2/3 cup + 2 tbsp of rice milk (or soy milk)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup cooked and cooled quinoa
1/2 cup of dried cranberries (or raisins)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with paper or silicon liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl combine the nut butter, rice milk and vanilla, mixing well.
4. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, careful not to over mix.
5. Fold in the quinoa and dried cranberries and mix just enough.
6. Bake for about 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Let cool on a wire rack before serving.