Sunday, July 10, 2011

Vegan and Thriving


When changing one's eating habits, in the beginning, buying a variety of new cook books can but exciting but a bit overwhelming.  Especially when you have so many that before you realize it you are barely using them.

For this reason I try to keep most of my recipes online but I keep a core of vegan cook books that I always go back to.  One of these books is Brendan Brazier's The Thrive Diet.

I often get caught up using just one or two books or just a handful of the same recipes that I have to remind myself to go back and explore the recipes already sitting on my shelf, including some old favourites.  Like this simple, yet so delicious yam (or sweet potato) oven fries recipe (p. 243, The Thrive Diet):
 

Garlic Oregano Yam Oven Fries
 Makes 2 servings.

Ingredients
2 medium yams, chopped into wedges or sticks
2 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
2 tbsp coarsely chopped pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1.5 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tbsp basil
Sea salt to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 300F. Toss everything together in a bowl, mixing well to coat all the wedges, using your hands directly in the bowl works best.  Spread the yams evenly on a non-stick cooking sheet (or use parchment paper) and bake for about 35 minutes.  Cook them for another 5-10 minutes if you prefer them crispy.

Add some organic ketchup or BBQ sauce and enjoy!


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...