|Strawberry Rhubarb pie fresh out of the oven!|
Earlier this Summer, I made a Strawberry Rhubarb pie, which was possibly one of the best pies I have ever had. I've made very few pies in my lifetime, however, this one was still hands down the best one I ever did make. I think it had to do with the fact that I used fresh organic strawberries and rhubarb from the Farmer's market.
The pie, just about ready to go in the oven ... before ...
And after ... all nearly devoured!
Strawberry Rhubarb pie
Original recipe from Vegan Pie in the Sky
3 cups sliced organic rhubarb in to pieces
4 cups sliced fresh organic strawberries into pieces
2/3 cup organic cane sugar
2 tbsp tapioca flour
2 tbsp organic all-purpose flour
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp sea salt
1.5 cup organic all-purpose flour
2 tbsp organic cane sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup cold non-hydrogenated shortening
4 tbsp or more of ice water
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
To make the dough:
1. Sift together the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in the shortening using a fork or pastry cutter to form a crumbly dough
2. Stir together 4 tbsp of the ice water and vinegar, then drizzle a third of it over the flour.
3. Gently mix to moisten, drizzle in another third of the liquid, and mix to moisten. Repeat with the remaining mixture until the dough forms a soft ball when pressed together. Add water, a bit at a time, if it hasn't come together yet
4. Wrap it sandwiched between waxed paper and refrigerate for an hour.
5. When dough is ready to roll out, use a large piece of parchment or wax paper and sprinkle it lightly with flour. Flatten the dough into a disk and place it in the center of the paper.
6. Using a lightly floured rolling pin in long, even strokes, roll out the dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Rotate the dough once in a while to get a pretty even circle.
7. To transfer the dough to a pie place, slide your hand underneath the center of the paper and quickly flip it onto the place. Peel off the paper and gently press the dough into the plate all around. Trim the edges if necessary.
You will have remainder dough. I used mine to create the lines on the top of the pie filling.
To make the pie filling:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Combine all the filling ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the filling to the prepared pie shell and top with the remaining strips of dough, or create any pattern or design on top you like.
4. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and poke many holes in the foil to let steam escape.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees and remove foil. Bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, or until filling is bubbling a lot and the top dough is lightly golden.
6. Place ready made pie on a cooling rack and let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving
Another delicious pie ...
Maple-kissed Blueberry Pie also from Vegan Pie in the Sky.