The second greatest vegetable to have been produced by my garden - a beet! Yes, just one beet and it sure was small but mighty ... mighty delicious that is!
I also produced this squash - the mini yellow Summer squash on the left - the white squash came generously from Hearts Content Farm.
My sweet little beet was smaller then the palm of my hand but I was delighted to see that, when I chopped it up, it was a candy cane beet!
So, I took all of those delicious veggies and roasted them for a sweet Summer warm salad.
Roasted Summer Vegetables
Makes about 2-3 servings
1-2 beet roots, chopped
1-2 small squash, any variety will do, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 large yellow zucchini, chopped
1-2 cups of cooked brown basmati rice
For the Dressing, I mixed:
2-3 tablespoons of organic honey (or maple syrup if you want it to be strictly vegan)
2 tablespoons of tamari
1-2 teaspoons of white and black sesame seeds
2 tablespoons of water
2-3 tablespoons of sesame oil
Sea salt to taste
It was a lot of improvising and eyeballing in this recipe, so feel free to experiment a little and change things up!
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. In a small bowl, mix all of the dressing ingredients together well.
2. Place all the vegetable in a large bowl and drizzle the dressing over the chopped vegetables, toss to coat well.
3. Layer a cookie sheet with parchment paper and pour the vegetables out on the sheet, spreading them out well so that there is one layer.
4. Cook for about 35-40 minutes, checking on the them occasionally until ready. If not tender when pierced with a fork, lower heat to 350F and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Prepare your plate with a layer of cooked rice and top it off with a few scoopfuls of the roasted vegetables. Allow to cool a few minutes before enjoying. Best served warm.