Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Preserving the Harvest: Apples into Applesauce

'Tis the season for preserving, which is what I hope to be doing a lot of this month.  Two weeks ago I learned to blanch green beans to prepare for freezing and last week, I made applesauce, which is also good for freezing or canning.  This week, I hope to pickle beets and carrots for canning, which is something I still struggle with but I swear I will master canning!

Making applesauce is possibly one of the easiest things to make and a healthy treat to enjoy, so it's a win-win.



Step 1: Wash and chop apples into small pieces - the smaller they are the faster they cook.


Step 2: Add apples to a pot on medium-high heat.  Add a few dashes of cinnamon.


Step 3: Cover to cook for at least 10 minutes on medium-high heat.


Step 4: Check on apples every few minutes and stir them to prevent from burning or sticking and check for tenderness. Cook for at least 12-15 minutes, until completely soft.


Step 5:  Once cooked and completely soft you can now start mashing the apples.  I used a potato masher but a fork could also work.



Step 6: Once mashed transfer apples to a food processor to puree them further, to get a smoother consistency.  This step is optional, if you like your apple sauce chunky then skip to step 7.


Step 7: Fill a mason jar with your apple sauce, securely seal it and add it to the freezer.  I am pretty certain you can freeze applesauce without pressurizing the jar but if you fell better canning, by all means.
 
Any tips or tricks you can offer me about preserving, freezing or canning, I would love to hear them! Please leave a comment.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...