Thursday, November 8, 2012

Preserving the Harvest: Pickling Radishes

Yep. I'm still at it. Well, trying to be anyway, still trying to preserve and learn how to preserve as much food as I can. This week: radishes!  I also learned this week, that I actually like the taste of radishes, at least the ones from the farm, because up until now I always believed I hated them.  It just goes to show you, always try news things and even old because you never know your taste might change!

Pickling and Preserving Radishes
The original recipe can be found Grow It Cook It Can It but because I didn't have all of the ingredients I had to tweak my recipe a bit (see below).


Ingredients
- About 2 bunches of radishes
- 1 cup Pinot Grigio white wine
- 1 cup  white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig sage 
- 1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tbsp. pickling salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
A few pinches of pickling spice mix for each mason jar


1. In a pot, combine all of the ingredients except the radishes.

2. Bring everything to a boil and then let simmer for about five minutes to infuse the brine with the fresh herbs.

3. Remove brine from heat and let it cool down enough so that it is just warm or cool but not hot - boiling hot water could cook that radishes and you don’t want that.


4. In the meantime, cut the radishes into smaller pieces so that they fit into your jars. You can cut them into halves, quarters, wedges or rounds.

5. Add a few pinches of the pickling spice mix into each jar. Pack the radishes into clean quart or 1/2 litre jars.

6. Strain the cooked brine to discard herbs.

7. Pour the brine over the radish in the jars. Screw on the lid and store in the fridge for up to 1 month. 

The radishes take about three days to taste properly pickled.

Enjoy!

Do you have a great pickling recipe you'd like to share?
I would love to hear it, please message me or leave a comment!
 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...