Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Soooooo many Root Vegetables!


This just in, still in season, soooooo many root vegetables and brassicas!  The nice thing about these vegetables is that they make great comfort foods too ... as soups, tarts, baked, and roasted.  My favourite is of course roasted vegetables. There is just something really nice about a fresh batch of mixed roasted root vegetables like sweet potato, turnips, parsnips, and carrots.


A vegetable I just added to my kitchen this year, which up until now I admittedly never heard about, is kohlrabi. What is it exactly? Well exactly, it's a perennial vegetable that is a stout cultivar of cabbage and tastes similar to broccoli.  To me, it's just another interesting, delicious and nutritious vegetable I can add to my repertoire and enjoy.


I added the kohlrabi to this roasted vegetable dish (above) which I seasoned with a olive oil, a bit of sea salt, black pepper, and dried dill.  Roasted chopped vegetables at 350F for about 35-40 minutes.  The vegetables I used here include: carrots, sweet potato, kohlrabi, black turnips, and parsnips.

There are only so many ways to roast vegetables but I always enjoy them, they make a perfect side dish and can be a healthy alternative to fried potatoes or salty snacks.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...