Red Lentil Coconut Soup
Original recipe from Scaling Back, I altered my recipe a bit here ...
- 2 cups red split lentils
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh peeled and minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 7 cups water
- 1 400ml can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Fresh cilantro & lime wedges to garnish (optional)
2. Add the garlic, ginger, spices, and tomato paste then continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes or until the mixture is fragrant and browned.
3. Add the water, coconut milk, lentils and chickpeas and cook uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, until lentils are softened to your liking. Add the lime juice at the end of cooking.
4. Add salt or more lime juice if desired depending on your taste.
5. Serve each soup bowl topped with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and lime wedges on the side.